Broken clavicle almost a year later

Patient

Q: I'm 24 year old male who broke his left clavicle pretty close to the shoulder about11 months ago in a snowboarding accident, now it's overlapping about an inch and still hurts. From a scale of one to ten the pain is a two and sometimes I don't feel it but it doesn't feel completely healed. I have almost full motion in it but it still feels weird to swing a golf club. It doesn't feel like it has gotten any better since about 4 months ago. When I rotate my shoulders it makes a popping grind noise. I really want to go snowboarding again, but I don't think my shoulder could take a fall. Do I need to just be patient or is this not normal.

Doctor

A:   Most cases of fracture of clavicle are managed conservatively. A fracture that is present in the distal 1/3 is more prone to non-union of the joint. Usually a fractured clavicle takes 6-8 weeks to heal. Since it's been 11 months in your case, I would suggest that you see your doctor to rule out a non-union of the joint.