Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Broken compressed knuckle how to fix it?

Broken compressed knuckle how to fix it?

Patient: Hi i broke my index “second metacarpal ” knuckle a year and a half ago.it is compressed back.and i get slight pain on left side of knuckle.how can i fix this?also my joint surface of the knuckle is wider and flatter will this cause my joint to wear out quicker if so how can i get my knuckle to look and feel like it used to thanks .regards william

Doctor: Thank you for your question. The risk of developing degenerative joint disease after a fracture such as yours is quite l ow, however it has been observed. What is important is that the pain and malformation of the joint needs to be addressed by an orthopedic surgeon to determine you will require surgery to treat it. Since it has already healed, this deformity of the joint will remain, and the only way to repair it will be surgery. Surgeries of the hand are indeed high risk and can be associated with a lot of pain and decreased range of motion. Please consult your surgeon for a more detailed consultation.AskTheDoctor.com wishes you a rapid recovery.