Broken nose complications

Patient

Q: I got punched on the side of the nose, 5 days ago and it bled for about twenty minutes and now have a bad headcold .the swelling has gone down no bruising to face or eyes, my question are the related cud my nose be broken

Symptoms:  Sneezing runy and blocked nose, coughing, mild headache, chills, tiredness
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to Ask The Doctor.

You can have the symptoms that you are having with or without a fracture of the nose. In a fracture there will be severe pain. If you are not getting severe pain, then you may have sinusitis. This is an infection of the sinus passages.

The sinusitis will present with a blocked nose and headaches in the sinus areas.

You can try the following for 2 days to see if it helps you.
- Drink lots of water
- Inhale steam to clear the nasal passages
- Take tablet Cetirizine once a day to reduce nasal secretion

If these things do not help, then please see a Doctor to confirm if you have a nasal fracture.

Hope this helps you. All the best.