Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Broken nose side effects

Broken nose side effects

Patient: Last year i was in a bad car accident, my face was slammed into the steering wheel of my car. I’m almost positive that it broke my nose due to swelling and bleeding, also very sore as well. its been a little over a year, and i have began to notice that i am still having trouble breathing through my nose, also it bleeds frequently and there has been a scab in one nostril for about the past week and a half. I’m just curious if this could be due to the injury that i had last year. i never went to the hospital after me wreck.

Doctor: Your symptoms could definitely explained by the injury you suffered in the car accident. It seems you did indeed fractur e your nasal bone distorting the normal anatomy. This distortion has lead to your difficulty breathing assuming you didn’t suffer any chest injuries. The ‘scab’ you notice is probably scar tissue from the fracture. You will need to see an ENT specialist for further evaluation and treatment recommendations. Most likely you will require corrective surgery to fix your nasal bone. Such a procedure should improve your breathing. Your surgeon would also be able to identify the cause of your frequent nose bleeds.