Broken Scaphoid bone in the wrist

Patient

Q: I have a broken Scaphoid bone. The Dr wants me to have surgery and place a screw in it. It's been broken for two years with manageable pain. I'm claustrophobic and can't image having a cast. What should I worry about if I just let the broken part of the bone die?

Doctor

A:   If the broken bone is not repaired, several complications can occur. Namely, chronic pain, osteoarthritis and possibly infection. All these complications can result in reduced range of motion at the wrist and thus difficulty performing some simple everyday tasks. I urge you to reconsider having the procedure done.