Broken Scaphoid bone in the wrist

Patient : I have a broken Scaphoid bone. The Dr wants me to have surgery and place a screw in it. It's been broken for two years with manageable pain. I'm claustrophobic and can't image having a cast. What should I worry about if I just let the broken part of the bone die?
Doctor :   If the broken bone is not repaired, several complications can occur. Namely, chronic pain, osteoarthritis and possibly i nfection. All these complications can result in reduced range of motion at the wrist and thus difficulty performing some simple everyday tasks. I urge you to reconsider having the procedure done.