Brown discharge - Signs of first menstrual period

Patient

Q: I recently noticed yesterday i had some brown discharge in my undies and i have no period at all, and havent commenced menstruation yet. Does this mean my period will start shortly? Or do i have depression because recently I have been feeling really down about a lot of thing. I also havent had any sexual activity whatsoever. Normally I have a clear yellowish discharge which i have had for nearly a year now. What is wrong with me?

Doctor

A:   I do understand your concern. Menstruation is a major stage of puberty in girls. The start of periods is known as menarche. Menarche doesn't happen until all the parts of a girl's reproductive system have matured and are working together. Usually during the first period you may not experience a true blood flow, but rather a light brown to red spotting that can last upto several days. Other associated signs that could indicate that it is menstruation is abdominal cramps and pain in the lower back, breast tenderness and irritability.