Brown Period - About to start the pill

Patient

Q: About to start my first ever pack of the pill; however, my discharge is brown? Told to take it on the first day of my period - is this my period and still okay?

My diet has changed to less meat recently, my periods are regular and I did have my normal pre-period symptoms of cramps and tiredness.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
You can probably wait for another day or two to see if the period starts of regularly and with good flow. Since you say that you are also having all your premenstrual cycle symptoms as well it must be the beginning of your cycle.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.