Brown spotting during early pregnancy

Patient

Q: I am in 9th week in my first pregnancy. Have visited doctor during 7 weeks pregnancy and all reports like scan and blood reports looks good. I am taking folic acid daily . Have sometimes nausea and vomiting but not severe . I did not see anything wrong in vaginal discharge except white for all these days. Last night had intercourse almost after one and half month in normal position but felt little bit uncomfortable. This afternoon there was brown spotting (blood clot) size of peanut . Later noticed vaginal discharge with little bit red. Is it something wrong with my baby , am worried a lot after seeing the brown discharge. what would be the reason for this spotting.

My age is 30 and I do not have any issues during periods or anytime .

Doctor

A:   Hi,
The possible causes of spotting in your case are postcoital spotting due to increased blood supply to local genital structures in pregnancy, abrasions due to friction etc.
Usually, minimal spotting due to this will subside soon.
If spotting and pain abdomen persists, better to consult your doctor once and get examined.
By examination and ultrasound the possible cause of the problem can be identified and treated.
Better to avoid intercourse during first 12 weeks of pregnancy.
Take care.