Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Brown Vaginal Bleeding

Brown Vaginal Bleeding

Patient: What would you say or recommend to a female, when they start the period and it is brown its not red of doesnt look like blood. what should she do?

Doctor: It is hard to provide a diagnosis without actually doing a physical exam but when someone notices something different or unusual about their body, I usually do not rush to a diagnosis or conclusion in my clinic.  As long as you are not feeling ill, observation is advised.If it continues throughout the period or persists for more than one cycle, it would be a good idea to have it investigated.  If your lifestyle puts you at risk for sexual diseases, then any abnormal discharge should at least be investigated for STD’s.Take care