Brown vaginal discharge

Q: My 86 yo neighbor Nettie has had a malodorous brown discharge since february. has a sister who died with ovarian cancer 15 years ago...brown discharge was a symptom also.

Other than being a little fatigue at time and one size weight loss, there are no other symptoms. she had 2 separate ultrasounds 3 months apart and was told that she had an ovarian cyst which has not changed in size.
THIS IS WONDERFUL NEWS- THOUGHT IT COULD BE CANCER, however we are now still quite concerned about the continual discharge. she has had 2 rounds of meds to treat ? yeast infection. the discharge has never ceased only decreased in amount. she was recently treated with a five day dose of metronidazole (? sp) for what is thought to be a bacterial infection. last tablet was monday 8.15, discharge heavy again on tuesday 8.16. she seems this all started after a negative colonoscopy in october 2010 and seems to think there could have been an accidental perforation during this procedure. there seems to be an increased concern which is unusual for her, but she's hesitant to see another gyn doctor. what is causing the discharge, where is it coming from, any advice?