Bruised toenail issues should i grow it out or see a doctor?

Patient

Q: Hello about a month ago i severely bruised both of my big toenails since then i decided to wait and today i pressed down on one of them and allot of pus came out i found out it was hollow i cut all the nail i could off and there is still some hollow space, i put lots of alcohol on it and there is a puffy red bed of flesh exposed and on the nail that isnt ready to come off there are small green patches i thought were bruise but now i think it is fungus, on the other toe there is lots of dried blood i cut off the excess nail and there is a pocket of pus that i cant completly get to since the nail isnt ready to fall off , should i just wait for it to grow out and go away or should i go to a doctor.

Symptoms:  Dark nail on one foot with hollow pus pocket and lots of dried blood, on other toe nail small green patches huge hollow gape in nail lots of pus and small greenish patches
Doctor

Welcome to Ask The Doctor. Thank you for your query.

It is possible that the green colour is old blood. Blood goes through various colours while decomposing. One of the colours is green. If there is no mouldy smell in the toe, it is most likely.

You can wait for 4 to 5 days for the nail to grow out. If the green colour does not increase in size and it does not cause pain, there should not be any problem. If pain starts, or you develop a fever please consult a Doctor immediately.