Bug bite in foreign country

Q: I was on vacation in the dominican republic and two days ago woke up with a large bug bite on calf. Bite area is red, swollen, and tight. I have a hx of sensitivity and reactions to mosquitos and spiders. Main concern is the bite occuring in a foreign country.

Symptoms:  Itching, swollen, red
Bug bite in foreign country-1

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion.
The area of bug bite in the picture appears to be swollen, red and recent. If you have not been feeling dizzy or nausea or even getting headache, then it is likely that the allergen is mild and the body immunity has caused a local reaction around the bite area, rather than a generalised one. This is a favourable sign that the bite is not poisonous and has been well qua-droned by the body's innate immunity.
If you are in the city and in reach off a medical echelon, then you should report to the ER, where you may be administered a HYDROCORTISONE INJECTION (steroid) and INJ. AVIL ( antihistaminic) to control the itching and the inflammation. The presence of redness indicates cellulitis which can be controlled with adjunctive antibiotics like CAP. AMOXY-CLAV 500mg twice a day for 5-7 days along with pain killers and antihistaminic like TAB CETRIZINE.
There is no apparent need to be scared and panic. This shall subside soon with the treatment and abscess formation can thus be avoided.
I hope I have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you a speedy recovery,