Bulimia and Red colored vomit.

Q: I had bulimia as well as eating disorder. Few weeks ago while puking i saw blood in my vomit. I did not take it seriously (as I thought it was that one time thing), but stopped vomiting. The before yesterday I ate a lot and may be that caused my breathing problem so i tried to vomit. and again the vomit was really red. I did not eat anything red. so I guess it was blood again?? why is it happening? what should I do?

A:   There are several effects bulimia may have on your stomach and oesophagus including acid reflux, oesophagitis or inflammation of the oesophagus, ulceration and delayed gastric emptying. Prolonged inflammation and ulceration over time may lead to scarring.
The main concern here is that you've developed smothing known as a Mallory Weiss tear. This is a partial tear in the lining of the esophagus caused by the pressure of forceful vomiting. More severe forms of this can lead to full thickness tears which can be life threatening. Do not take the blood in vomiting lightly and see your doctor a soon as possible or go to the ER.