x
162 Physicians Online

Question:

Bulimia Nervosa: Signs, Symptoms and Management

Hello, I have been reading up on bulimia, and I think that I may be bulimic.I eat frequently and a lot, so much that I am embarrassed and unable to remember everything I ate. I feel helpless and pathetic; I do not know what to do. If I am not eating a ton, I am eating too little; there is no balance for me. I cannot help myself, I have tried writing down what I eat, but it does not help. This is a psychological problem and I do not think that I can do anything. I am starting to hate myself. I need your help; please, please help me.

Answer:

I do believe you may have bulimia; periods of eating a larger amount of food than most people do followed by compensatory behaviour (vomiting, laxatives, in your case, fasting or eating too little) are features of bulimia, especially if these episodes happen >2x a week for 3 months. I suggest you consult a psychologist or psychiatrist to help deal with your problem. A trustworthy relationship with a therapist will help you identify (and subsequently, avoid) certain triggers. There are also drugs which may be used for bulimia (Fluoxetine) but a prescription is needed for this. I presume you are still in the early stages of bulimia which means that there is so much hope for you; it will be a tough battle but you can beat it. I do hope I have helped you in some way and I wish you all the best. Take care.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA