Bulimia Nervosa: Signs, Symptoms and Management

Patient : Hello, I have been reading up on bulimia, and I think that I may be bulimic.I eat frequently and a lot, so much that I am embarrassed and unable to remember everything I ate. I feel helpless and pathetic; I do not know what to do. If I am not eating a ton, I am eating too little; there is no balance for me. I cannot help myself, I have tried writing down what I eat, but it does not help. This is a psychological problem and I do not think that I can do anything. I am starting to hate myself. I need your help; please, please help me.
Doctor :   I do believe you may have bulimia; periods of eating a larger amount of food than most people do followed by compensator y behaviour (vomiting, laxatives, in your case, fasting or eating too little) are features of bulimia, especially if these episodes happen >2x a week for 3 months. I suggest you consult a psychologist or psychiatrist to help deal with your problem. A trustworthy relationship with a therapist will help you identify (and subsequently, avoid) certain triggers. There are also drugs which may be used for bulimia (Fluoxetine) but a prescription is needed for this. I presume you are still in the early stages of bulimia which means that there is so much hope for you; it will be a tough battle but you can beat it. I do hope I have helped you in some way and I wish you all the best. Take care.