Bump on belly button

Patient

Q: I am a healthy 24 yr old female - I had Mexican for dinner last night and was extremely bloated. I then had a pain in my stomach. I went to feel my stomach and noticed that there was a small pea-sized "bubble" above my belly button. The "bubble" is inside, not outside - it's inside the skin overlapping the belly button and is tender to the touch. I thought nothing of it and assumed it was from the Mexican food. I felt the "bubble" again today and squeezed it a little and it felt like something popped inside. The "bubble" is not as large anymore. Do I need to be seen by a doctor?

Doctor

A:   It could just be a pimple or carbuncle and I highly doubt the Mexican food caused that. You can try to sanitize the area (alcoholize) it. If you have an antiseptic cream or ointment (e.g. Polysporin, etc), you may also apply it on the area. If it is not painful anymore, then there’s no need to worry and it will not be necessary to see a doctor. I do hope this helps and take care always.