Bump on lip

Patient

Q: What is the bump on my lip and how do I get rid of it? It's a little bump that's the color of my lip. It appeared over night and it's been there for 9 months now. I've tried using acne cream and cold sore ointment on it but it doesn't help.

Symptoms:  Bump on lip.
No pain.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, without a photograph of the lesion, i am unable to provide any reasonable differential diagnosis. The best course of action would be to see your family doctor who can arrange for you to have a biopsy of the lesion. If it is small enough, the entire lesion can be removed in a technique known as 'excisional biopsy'. That way, the tissue can be analyzed by a pathologist under the microscope to definitely tell you what it is. If the lesion extends beyond the red part of the lip (into the skin) i would advise having a plastic surgeon perform the procedure.

good luck