Bump under breast should I worry

Patient: I have a bump under my right breast been there for about a week and is somewhat painful when pressure is applied. Should I be worried ?

Symptoms: Painful bump

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com for an opinion.Any painful lump in the breast should be examined and evaluated by a physician to rule out benign from malignant swelling. If the swelling is hard and mobile with no fixity to the lower muscle tissue, it indicates a fibroadenoma, or else if its soft to firm and localized with inflammatory changes over the skin with pain, then it can be plain fat necrosis lump.It would be prudent to evaluate with a breast ultrasound and a fine needle aspiration biopsy ( FNAC) for histopathological examination for identifying the cause and cell of origin and accordingly surgical or medical management can be planned.I hope I have addressed your concerns in detail,wishing you good health,regards