Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Bump With Pain below Knee/Patella

Bump With Pain below Knee/Patella

Patient: 6 months ago I had an accident where I hit my left knee relatively hard against a blunt piece of metal. The area was just below my knee cap and below my patella tendon as well. The area swelled up for a couple weeks and was sore to do physical activity. I didn’t think much of it. As time progressed, it became harder and harder to get back into my daily routine, as a college football player, includes a lot of running and heavy lifting with my legs. I took about 5 weeks off recently, came back and participated for about a month with no symptoms or pain. After a week break of no lifting due to Spring Break, I returned to my daily lifts and the first one involving squatting brought back the symptoms again, even worse. I just took two weeks off again, and tried again as the pain ceases when I rest for about 2 weeks, and again, the pain comes back. I am just curious as to what this is and what my possible action steps are?

Symptoms: Pain during physical activity: Squatting, Running, Bending of Knee, Pressure applied to bump and around it on shin bone and muscle. Feels like bone is going to shoot out of my skin when I squat or bend my knee.

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.It seems that you have a prepatellar bursitis. A bursa is a fluid-filled sac present und er the patella. This causes the pain to be felt under the knee. Treatment of this can be as follows:Rest the knee to reduce the pain and the swelling of the kneeIce the knee for 15 mins every hourCompress the knee using crepe bandage to reduce the swellingElevate the knee to reduce the pain and swelling by allowing the blood flow back to the heartUse Ibuprofen to help with the painLocal massage may also help.If the pain is not less after 1 week, you may have something serious and you should see a Doctor. Hope this helps you. All the best.