Burning calves on treadmill

Patient

Q: I'm 6'2", male, 205lb, 41yr old, working in finance 60 hrs per week. When I try to walk 3.5-4mph on treadmill my calves and muscle on outer side of shin burn increasingly until I have to stop 5-10 minutes in.

Symptoms:  Burning calves
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. During aerobic exercise, lactic acid can build up in the muscles of the legs which can lead to a burning sensation or even cramps. Try to decrease the speed and amount of time that you exercise and gradually work your way up to determine if this will help in alleviating your symptoms. If this does not help, it is possible that you could be suffering from muscle spasms or decreased circulation to the lower extremities which could be causing these symptoms. We recommend that you have your doctor examine your legs, and perform a cardiovascular examination as a precaution to rule out any circulatory problems. Please see your doctor for further evaluation and refrain from exercise until you are given clearance by your doctor.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com