Burning crackeling sound from the head in youth

Patient

Q: My son is 9 years old and just recently in the past week it's happened a lot more frequently but he gets a burning sensation that is very painful he says his head feels to be on fire and that when you touch it you can feel heat it last a few seconds and it's also followed by a cracking noise like Rice Krispies. Have any idea what it could be?

Symptoms:  Burning in fire sensation, heat radiating from sight, very painful, crackeling sound coming from it
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that your son has a bacterial infection in this area of his scalp. This would account for the burning and pain. This infection can possible spread to a larger area, which can lead to severe infection and loss of hair. Please have this possible infection examined by his doctor. He may need to be started on a course of antibiotics to treat it. Please seek medical treatment immediately.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com