Burning in back left side

Q: I have a burning in one spot when I turn over at night on my left side right at my back at my waist line what could this be?

Symptoms:  Only have a burning in the one spot on my left side

A:   Thank you for your question. This burning sensation you are experiencing on your left side could be neuropathic pain. Since you have diabetes, this can result in a condition known as peripheral neuropathy. This is a very common condition that affects persons who have diabetes. Uncontrolled blood sugar can result in damage to sensory nerves. This pain you are experiencing may be one such instance. Another possible cause of this localized burning sensation could be due to Shingles. Shingles is a disease caused by the reactivation of the chicken pox virus which stays dormant in the spinal cord after a previous infection. Shingles produces a painful, burning rash along the area of innervation where the virus is dormant in the spinal cord. We recommend that you promptly have this examined by your doctor to determine if you are suffering from any one of these conditions. Shingles is usually treated supportively with pain management, and peripheral neuropathy can be treated with specific medications decrease this burning sensation that you are experiencing.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com