Burning sensation by belly button

Q: I am 38 weeks pregnant and have been experiencing burning pain by my belly button is this normal, and what is it?

Symptoms:  Burning sensation by belly button

A:   Thank you for your question. We are sorry that you experiencing this pain. One possible cause for this pain in the umbilical region could be due to tension on one of the ligaments that support the uterus. This ligament is the round ligament of the uterus. The round ligament pain can undergo stretching and tension as the uterus grows in size during pregnancy. This tension can can produce a sharp pain in the lower abdomen and area of the umbilicus, consistent with your pain.
This is a very common condition experienced by expecting mothers during the 2nd and 3rd trimester of pregnancy. In order to alleviate this pain, you can try to avoid sudden movements, and applying support to your belly as you sleep with pillows. Furthermore, it is important that you avoid sitting or standing in the same periods of time for extended periods of time. We become concerned when this pain becomes severe and persistent, and is associated with nausea, vomiting, fever, or any vaginal discharge which you have not noticed before. After your child is born, and your uterus returns to its normal size over a period of several weeks, this pain should resolve without complication.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com