Burning sensation on tip and opening of the penis, intimate encounter a year ago.


Q: There is a burning sensation on the tip and opening of my penis and grayish and red like blisters in the openins, what could it be?

Around two weeks ago I've got a really bad burning sensation on the tip of my penis during the night. I haven't been sexually active, I do masturbate three to four times a week. My last close intimate encounter with a person was a year ago. We kissed, but that is about all the intimate contact we had. Ever since I didn't really had any burning sensations until now (a year ago). I really don't know what to make of it.

I turned to the internet for answers, I read that genital herpes can be passed through kissing. As far as my articles go I also read that herpes can appear around 2 to 3 weeks prior, but it didn't. There is still burning sensation now and then, and the grayish and red like blisters are still in the opening of the penis.

Can someone please help me it will help me a lot.


A:   Thank you for your question. Based on the description you have provided we have two hypotheses as to what could be causes these blisters on your glans penis.
The first possible cause of your illness could be due to genital herpes. This is caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus. This virus is passed via sexual intercourse, oral sexual contact, or by kissing. When infected with the herpes simplex virus, one can be an asymptomatic carrier of this virus for years without knowing it until there is an eruption of genital herpes. The lesions of genital herpes appear as fluid filled blisters which can rupture and be painful. There are antiviral medications used to manage these outbreaks, however once infected with this virus, one is a carrier for life.
Another possible cause of this is a bacterial infection of the glans penis and foreskin called balanitis. Balanitis is can become serious if left untreated, however if diagnosed it will respond well to topical antibiotic creams. At this point we would like you to promptly go to your doctor to be examined in person. Testing should be conducted for sexually transmitted infections, as well as a urine test to make sure the infection has not gone into the urethra or bladder. If this occurs, you will need oral medications as well. We hope you feel better soon.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com with your medical question.

Related Q&A

Q: I have blisters on the shaft of my penis? I have had a sti check after the last time I had sex and I had chalmidea bu...

Q: Was having testicul pain and frequent urination, went to urgent care the took a "clean catch" urine sample...

Q: The guy I started dating had hpv genital warts in 2011 and had them burnt off my a doctor. He hasn't seen any warts ...

Q: Will leucocytes and nitrates show up on a uti test if you have chlamydia or gonerreah?

Q: I had sex with a same sex worker twice on two different nights (back to back) and im hesistant to have sex with my wi...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon