Burning sensation when urinating.

Patient

Q: Everytime I have sex with my girlfriend afterwards it burns when I pee. She doesn't have any problems. I drink cranberry juice and it will go away but returns when we have sex. What could this be?

Doctor

A:   The most probably cause of your burning sensation while passing urine may be due to cystitis caused due to a urinary tract infection. This is usually caused by an ascending bacterial infection from the urethra. The first line of treatment is antibiotics. A urinalysis may help to detect the presence of infection. Drinking plenty of water will help to flush out the bacteria in the urine.