Burning, stinging pain in the calf

Patient

Q: My husband is having pain in his calf muscule..burning stinging sensation, and a hard kind of vein is sticking out when he flexs, says it is sensitive around it also..what is this and does he need to go to hopital?

Doctor

A:   There are many causes of non-traumatic leg pain. Pain in the legs may be present because of several conditions that may affect joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments, blood vessels, skin or nerves. So as you see there is a vast array of diseases that can be causing the symptoms that you described. It may be important to rule out PAD by the vascular doctor, and also rule out other important causes of leg pain: as nerve compression at the lumbar level of the spine, and also metabolic causes as Diabetes mellitus because the pain as you described it may it be symptom of a possible diabetic neuropathic pain. After your doctors rule out those causes, just remains if you can relate those pains with a physical stress that your husband might have done, give it a try with anti inflammatory medication for one week (Advil, Motrin). And finally if you are overweight, try to lose weight.