Busy mother of two with back problems

Q: Im 27 with 2 kids ages 2 and 3 i s tarted having back pain after my youngest was born premie at 32 weeks i am a healthy person but for 2 yrs i toss n turn in bed hav E trouble lifting bending carying kids. I had xray which was normal i dont what to do anymore

A:   Mechanical low back pain (LBP) is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, the LBP resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. Here some useful measures: keep a good posture at all times and practice low-impact activities such as swimming, walking, and bicycling can increase overall fitness without straining the low back. Standing: While standing, keep your head up and stomach pulled in. If you are required to stand for long periods of time, you should have a small stool on which to rest one foot at a time. Do not wear high heels. It is important to identify the straining physical activities that trigger the pain and avoid them. Additionally it would be useful a  physical therapy program and keep your weight under control, because the overweight suppose additional stress to the lumbar spine,   relative rest, flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, exercises that improve the muscular strength and endurance of lumbar muscles. You can keep taking anti-inflammatory medication (“Motrin”, “Aleve”) and  follow these general recommendations: sleeping with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side may increase comfort, lying on the back with a pillow under the knees. If the pain persists for more than 2 months, it is strongly recommended that you have an evaluation by a physician to rule out more serious conditions as a disc hernia.