September 23, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Calcium channel blockers in the treatment of hypertension

Calcium channel blockers in the treatment of hypertension

Patient: I have high blood presure my doctor gave me Tanzaril 50 mg and amlopine 10 mg twice a day and naril 20 mg ones a day I am concernt about the side effect from amlopine I been reading it can cause heart attack I know I have a strong heart and feel good but I like a second opinion

Doctor: Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker commonly used in the treatment of high blood pressure. There have been reports o f calcium channel blockers causing angina and heart attacks, but these rare side-effects are usually seen with the rate-limiting calcium channel blockers. Amlodipine has minimal effects on the heart rate and is generally considered a safe and widely used treatment for hypertension. Therefore I would not be overly concerned regarding this rare adverse effect.