Calf cramps for over two years

Patient

Q: Brief history I am 52 excellent health BP excellent No meds not allregic to any. Seen orthopedic and MRI shows nothing no Bakers cyst or cartilage damage.. Seen a Chiropractor and still nothing.... Seen a vascular surgeon.. Had a very thorough anterior gram and an Ultra sound with tread mill and still nothing out of the ordinary... Problem:: Right Calf from knee to my toes moderate to severe pain. seems to get better with rest. Going up stairs hurts more the pain is can be severe but most time is moderate. even at rest sharp pains hit with no apparent reason... On history I did have an infection of the same lower leg in Sept of 2010 cellulites was the diagnoses... over the last 2 years had cramps in the same leg while scuba diving. Also no swelling in the calf now. Hope you can give me some idea as to what may be happening.. Thank You

Doctor

A:    According to your description you may be experiencing a Calf Tendinitis, The calf muscle is made up of three muscles. The two heads of the gastrocnemeius and the soleus. Usual complain is  a dull aching pain and in severe cases a sharp intense pain. If you have a partial tear or complete rupture of the calf muscle then running will be impossible for 4-12 weeks depending on the injury. If you are suffering from inflammation of the muscle then you can resume training after 7-10 days. Ineffective warm up and warm down routines can lead to calf strains. Excessive hill work and a sudden increase in mileage can cause a calf strain. Calf strains can be caused by dehydration. Deficiencies in calcium, trace minerals and magnesium can also lead calf strains. Therefore we would recommend to ensure adequate water intake and multi minerals. One of the most common causes is a condition called over pronation. Over pronation basically means that your feet are rolling over too much as you run which causes excessive pressure on the calf muscle and achilles tendon.  Initial treatment should consist of an ice pack or  use a wet towel that has been in the fridge, you can use commercially available ice packs for focused pain relief. An anti-inflammatory such as Ibuprofen (“Motrin”, “Aleve”) will help to reduce the swelling; this should be taken with meals and never before running. Massaging the calf also helps to speed up recovery. View the calf Massager with four free rolling heads it’s particularly good at giving yourself a deep calf massage.