Calf pain after workouts with normal doppler

Q: I have for the last 6-8 weeks had calf pain, that my doctor told me was a calf pull from exercise, I saw a physio therapist and it started somewhat to go away, I also had a doppler ultra sound done and they said that everything was normal. by the time I had the doppler done the pain had somewhat started to go away. two weeks on from this ultra sound, the pain has come back and it is quite sore again, this time in my foot and thigh. I worked out a few days prior to the pain starting but didn't think I would have done anything to hurt my leg again. I have no swelling I don't think, no redness or tenderness or any of the risk factors of dvt. What are the chances this could be a clot? I am 26 year old male, 150lbs and active.

A:   You already have a Doppler that showed no evidence or risk for a clot, besides you do not have swelling, coldness or tenderness, then possibly you may be experiencing a Calf strain. The calf muscle is made up of three muscles. The two heads of the gastrocnemeius and the soleus, these three muscles end in a common tendon: the Achilles tendon. Usually the complain is a sharp intense pain after a sudden or straining move. Ineffective warm up and warm down routines can lead to calf strains. Calf strains can be caused by dehydration. Deficiencies in calcium, trace minerals and magnesium can also lead calf strains. Therefore I would recommend you to ensure adequate water intake and multi minerals. One of the most common causes is a condition called over pronation. Over pronation basically means that your feet are rolling over too much as you run or exercise which causes excessive pressure on the calf muscle and Achilles tendon.  Initial treatment should consist of  ice packs. You can also use a wet towel that has been in the fridge or commercially availableice packs for focused pain relief. An anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen (“Motrin”, “Aleve”) will help you to reduce the swelling ,this should be taken with meals and never before exercising .I  recommend you complete rest for 5 days for a mild calf strain and then a gradual increase in training. Massaging the calf also helps to speed up recovery. View the calf Massager with four free rolling heads it’s particularly good at giving yourself a deep calf massage.