Calf pain radiated to the buttock.

Q: I'm not sure whats going on, but i have a pain that starts from the outside of my seft calf, up to my buttock. I know whith sciatic nerve pain, i goes from the lower back or buttock and can go all the way down to the foot. Can it ever be in reverse?

A:   It is not likely that sciatic pain starts in the calf and radiates toward the upper part of the leg and gluteal area, is the opposite. It seems that you are experiencing a muscle strain in the calf muscles. Any muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to a muscle or its attaching tendons. A common cause for this nowadays is the Repetitive stress injuries (RSIs), these are injuries that happen when too much stress is placed on a part of the body, resulting in inflammation (pain and swelling), muscle strain, or tissue damage. This stress generally occurs from repeating the same movements over and over again, with no enough healing time so they are also called “overuse syndrome”. The concept is that overuse injury is associated with repeated challenge without sufficient recovery time. The time of healing varies from patient to patient and also depends on the severity of the injury. The conservative treatment consists of: initially, protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation (known as the PRICE formula) can help the affected muscle and also maintaining the strained muscle in a stretched position. Moist warm compresses can be applied, anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e.: “Aleve”), rest the strained muscle and avoid the activities that caused the strain and other activities that are painful. A Physical Therapy program for 4-6 weeks must be followed and practice at home the stretching exercises above all. The healing time and conditions for each patient are different. Avoid overuse and try to do an appropriate warming-up and stretching before significant physical activity.