Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Calories burnt performing bicycle crunches

Calories burnt performing bicycle crunches

Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help regarding my question: How many calories does a 100lb 27 year old female burn performing 150 bicycle crunches. I have found your reply extremely helpful for me. I just have a few more queries in general that i need a bit of help with: Is the amount of calories burnt (80 – 100 calories burnt for 50 bicycle crunches at 3 minutes) the same regardless of whether i perform them at a high or low speed, i.e completing 150 bicycle crunches in 3 minutes or completing 150 bicycle crunches in 6 minutes etc. Also, do you have to fully extend and crunch the legs as far up to your chest when performing them in order to burn calories, and does this build more muscle, or does it not matter about the form of the bicycle crunch. Please can you email me back as soon as you receive this message to help me with this information and query, i would be really thankful for this. Thankyou for your help and kind regards,Kelly.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your follow-up query.Yes, it depends on the number of crunches. You do burn more calories if y ou burn it in lesser time, but this is not significant and there are more chances of muscle fatigue.For bicycle crunches, you need to pull your leg as closer to your chest as possible. When you do that you squeeze your abs really tight, increasing the blood flow. This helps in shaping up the abdomen.I advise you do more number of crunches and take your time. Do not try to finish in 3 minutes, as it increases the risk of muscle spasm and other injuries.Hope this was helpful.Regards.