x
175 Physicians Online

Question:

Can a Bladder Infection Cause a Pregnancy Test to Come up Positive?

Can a bladder infection cause a pregnancy test to come up positive? i took one at home and the doctors took one and they both came up positive and i have a bladder infection.

Answer:

Hello, I understand your doubt about Pregnancy Tests results when having a urinary tract infection.  The Pregnancy Tests should not be altered in any way by a urinary tract infection.
The hormone that the pregnancy test reacts to which is HCG only appears in the blood and urine after few days have passed since conception and its concentration increased rapidly.
Surely this hormone is very specific for pregnancy states and is not compromised or released during infections of the urine tract. I hope I could clear your doubt, I wish you a successful pregnancy.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.