Can a fatty tumor/lipoma grow back in the exact same spot?

Q: A little over five years ago, I had a fatty tumor removed from the back of my head. It was a little smaller than the size of a golf ball. It appears that a mass has grown back in the exact same spot and the exact same size. I am occasionally experiencing very mild headaches, a sense of vertigo when I stand up quickly and a slight blur of vision. Can a fatty tumor grow back in the same spot and could these symptoms be related?

Symptoms:  Mild head ache, occasional blurred vision, mass on the back of head.

A:   Hello.
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

Yes, Lipoma can regrow at the same area.
Any swelling that is movable in this area can be any of the following:
1. Lipoma or cyst
2. Lymph node
3. Abscess/Boil
You should get examined by your doctor.
If he feels, this is a lymph node, he will evaluate you for the possible causes.
In case you had a recent sore throat, it can be reactive lymphadenitis.
If he feels, it is big in size, he will get it's Fine Needle Aspiration and Cytology (FNAC) done.
An abscess or boil require treatment with broad spectrum antibiotics like Amoxycillin.
Also, it is important to rule out diabetes in such case.
Share my opinion with your doctor.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy