Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can a high carb/sugar diet cause dandruff and scalp infections?

Can a high carb/sugar diet cause dandruff and scalp infections?

Patient: Hi I wanted to see if my symptoms might be caused by a food sensitivity. I have a dry itchy flaky scrap, itchy skin especially behind my ears and I am also prone to yeast infections. I have used medicated shampoos and taken things for a yeast infection but they comes back. I have been tested for food allergies and am only allergic to shrimp. Could the dandruff and yeast infection be related to my diet such as carbs and sugar? I already use hypoallergenic soap and detergents. Thanks! I am also a 45 year old Caucasian women, regular checkups no health issues except asthma. Thanks!!

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for your health query on ATD.The condition that you are suffering from is called as seborrheic dermati tis. This condition is commonly present between the 3rd to 5th decade of life. The most common sites are behind the ear, side of nose, scalp margin & middle of chest.Yeast infections are commonly associated with this. Also dandruff is a common associated feature. It has no relation with food. The treatment of this is to use Ketoconazole shampoo thrice in a week. Leave the shampoo over scalp for few minutes then rinse. You can also take oral Fluconazole tablets after consulting your family physician.Regards