Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can a high white blood cell count be normal

Can a high white blood cell count be normal

Patient: I have been suffering with dizziness and vertigo but no diagnosis as of yet. Recently also been getting tingling head.to toe. Had blood tests and white blood cell count was high. Doctor asked me if i had any infections and i said no as im not aware of any, i just feel awful all the time anyway with the dizziness etc. So the. doctor says it must be normal for.me? Is this right? Can a high white blood cell count ever be considered normal. or should it be investigated further?

Symptoms: 24/7 dizziness, frequent vertigo and head pressure, tingling head to toe on occasion, high white blood cell count, prolonged mentruation lasting 2 weeks each time, difficulty losing weight unless i take norethisterone then i dont even need to try it just comes off

Doctor: You have been complaining of dizziness associated with vertigo. You were investigated for blood levels which were normal . High white blood cells is not normal, as it might be infection or rarely cancer, for which you must be investigated in detail about the differential count and bone marrow biopsy if required along with few markers. Regarding dizziness, you must be investigated for vision, hearing and cerebellar problems first instead of blood levels. But remember its normal to have dizziness and vertigo, as most of the times it is associated with an organic lesion. Consult a neurologist for detailed investigation and further management.