Can a patellar rupture be fixed after 18 years?

Patient

Q: I just had an MRI and it says I have a rupture of patellar tendon with superior migration of patella and Grade II intrasubstance signal involving anterior horn of lateral meniscus.

Symptoms:  Non extension of leg. I have not been able to extend my leg since 1996 when I had knee surgery. The knee has become more and more unstable and gives out (dislocates and buckles) frequently. It wasn't so bad but now it's really bad. A doctor I spoke with said there is nothing that can be done now because it has been to long. The only solution is fusing the knee together. I don't want to take that option unless absolutely necessary. Another doctor told me all I need is injections. From the research I have done I see I need surgery. Any suggestions.
Can a patellar rupture be f...-1
Doctor