Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can a person have all 3 types of diabetes at

Can a person have all 3 types of diabetes at

Patient: Can a person have all 3 types of diabetes at the same time? Someone just told me they have all 3 types and I don’t think that was possible.

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.A person usually has either Type 1 diabetes or Type 2 diabetes. They were earlier known as Insulin-dependent and Non-Insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.However, one who in on oral medication for diabetes can later require Insulin without having Type 1 Diabetes.The 3rd common one is Diabetes Insipidus, that is totally different from the above two.I hope this helps.Stay Healthy.