Can a pinched nerve in neck cause high blood pressure

Patient

Q: I had a pinched nerve in my neck which affected my left shoulder. I went to physical therapy twice a week for 6 weeks.This happened in May of 2009 I still have mild chronic pain in my neck and shoulder. The doctor wants to put me on Toprol and Lisinopril for my high blood pressure. Is it possible that this can cause my blood pressure to be high?

Doctor

A:   It is not likely that a cervical nerve compression can be the cause of High Blood pressure. A cervical radiculopathy can cause the following symptoms: decrease in or loss of sensation in areas of shoulder, arm or hand, pain or numbness in shoulder, arm , elbow or hand.
It seems to be that the High Blood pressure was a finding while you were in you physical Therapy program.
There is no evidence in the medical literature that the cervical radiculopathies are associated with the production of high blood pressure.