Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can a pulled muscle cause serious abdominal pain?

Can a pulled muscle cause serious abdominal pain?

Patient: Earlier this month, I went to the Cotton Bowl and wore a very tight Under a Armour shirt. During the game, I pulled a muscle in my lower right back. It never hurt, but if I pressed on it, it would feel tender. Over the next five days, the feeling from my pulled muscle radiated through my lower right side. Like before, it was tender when I pressed on it. It went away, but I went to my doctor just to make sure everything was okay. My parents said they might run tests on me, and I started getting really stressed out. My doctor told me that it was only a pulled muscle, but if I felt the same thing again, I should see a doctor. After my appointment, I had trouble with my bowel movement, which I believe was caused by me being stressed. The next day, my bowel movement was better, but I was still going through small amounts. I then had really bad indegestion early in the morning, but felt better afterwards. After I eat, I still feel a weird feeling around my lower right abdomen, but I don’t know if it’s anything very serious. It doesn’t hurt at all, but it feels unsettling. Should I be concerned at all, or is it something that will go away? I’m a 20 year old male, and I’m 210 pounds. I’m just a college student wanting to know if everything is okay. 🙂

Symptoms: Trouble with bowel movement

Doctor: Welcome To Ask The Doctor.Yes, this seems to be muscular sprain injury.I would advise following in such scenario:1 . To do hot fomentation of the affected area.2. To apply Diclofenac gel locally.3. To take anti inflammatory pain killers like Ibuprofen.This should get normal in 5 days.Foe bowel movement increase fibers and green leafy vegetables in diet.If it persists, you should get an Ultrasound Abdomen done.I hope the information helps.Stay Healthy.