Can a STD be dated?

Patient

Q: Is it possible to date or tell how long someone has been infected with an STD such as chlamydia or gonorrhea? If no protecion is worn and the partner from the previos relationship wont get tested how would the source be identified? (the current would obviously be infected as well without protection)

Doctor

A:   It is not possible to calculate the exact time of infection of those STD’s; however you can estimate depending on when the symptoms appeared.
Chlamydia is known as a "silent" disease because the majority of infected people have no symptoms. If symptoms do occur, they usually appear within 1 to 3 weeks after exposure. The symptoms of gonorrhea are often mild, but most women who are infected have no symptoms. Even when a woman has symptoms, they can be so non-specific as to be mistaken for a bladder or vaginal infection. Men with gonorrhea may have no symptoms at all. However, some men have signs or symptoms that appear two to five days after infection; symptoms can take as long as 30 days to appear.