Can a UTI influence the result of a home pregnancy test?

Patient

Q: Can a UTI Affect a at home pregnancy test? I had like pink spotting 5 days before period along with a UTI. I am now 3 days late. taken many HPTand all neg. What to do? do not have insurance.

Doctor

A:   A home pregnancy test checks and detects the level of beta hcg in the urine which will be present if a pregnancy exists. A urinary tract infection thus per se will not affect the result of the test, however it may mimic or cause some vaginal bleeding. I would advice you to get a repeat test done and also wait for a coupke more days as it may be normal for a period to be about 5 days delayed. All the best. I hope this helps.