Can antibiotics for colds harm a developing baby?

Patient

Q: I have a nasty cold and am going to the doctors tomorrow for antibiotics so I can return to work. There is a good chance that I am pregnant and I don't wish to let my doctor know yet. Can antibiotics for colds harm a developing baby?

Symptoms:  Sore throat, swollen throat, trouble swallowing, jaw aches, slight cough, dizziness and trouble breathing.
Doctor

If you are in early pregnancy then you must not make any antibiotics because of its probable deleterious effects on pregnancy and possible causes of congenital anomalies. If pregnancy is confirmed then you may opt for saline warm water gargles and plain water steam inhalation thrice a day with adequate hydration to control your cold and cough.
however if the symptoms are problematic then pregnancy safe antibiotics like amoxycillin plain may be used for a course but under supervision and after confirming pregnancy by a serum beta hcg test.
I hope i have answered your query,
wishing you good health,
regards