Can choking cause someone to lose consciousness?

Patient

Q: My dad is in his mid 40s and he has seasonal allergies. He was eating watermelon and he suddenly started coughing. He went back and seemed like he was dead. He woke up minutes later but he said he could hear us yelling at first but then he couldn't, and right now he has a headache. What caused it? What happened?

Doctor

A:   It seems like it was a choking spell, rather than an allergic episode. He must have aspirated some amount of food particle into his respiratory tract (wind pipe) while having his Watermelon. However, you should visit a General Physician for a thorough cardiac and neurological evaluation.