Can Daily Use of Alcohol and Cigarettes Cause ED

Patient

Q: My husband has recently impotent. He drinks two six packs of beer every night and also smokes a pack of cigarettes a day. He is 47 years old. We have not had sex in over six months due to him not being able to get an erection. He refuses to go to the doctor because he says there is not anything wrong with him. He never wants to have sex anymore and makes excuses all the time. However, he is usually kinda drunk every night anyway. My question: Is it the beer and cigarettes that is causing his impotence problem or is there other health problems as well?

Doctor

A:   Alcohol, smoking and obesity are all factors that may cause erectile dysfunction. Stress and anxiety, decreased testosterone levels, certain medications like SSRIs can also cause ED. It may be helpful if you have an talk with your husband regarding this problem and try to find any cause of stress or anxiety.
Good healthy diet, exercise and avoiding alcohol and smoking will help in the treatment of ED, though if his symptoms do not improve even after these lifestyle modification, then medication like Sildenafil may help.