Can doctors tell if you are a virgin or not?

Q: Hi, my name is Ivette and I have a there any way to know if a woman is a virgin by going to the doctor and making tests. My mom is taking me to the doctor to check if i'm a virgin or not.

A:   Virginity testing is a very controversial practice, because of its implications and inaccuracy. Virginity tests is based on the identification or presence of an intact hymen and the laxity of vaginal muscles. The hymen is a thin membrane that covers the opening of a girl’s vagina. However, the usefulness and validity of these criteria has been widely questioned because the membrane may break due to other causes too and vaginal laxity is entirely based on subjective observation. Masturbation, intensive exercise or physical activities like horse-riding can all cause the hymen to rupture. Thus a girl who has a broken hymen may be labeled sexually experienced when in fact she may never have had been touched by a man.