x
180 Physicians Online

Question:

Can dog bite cause meningitis?

I wanted to know if it's possible to contract viral meningitis from a dog bite? I was bit by a dog on Nov 11 2010. Within 7-10 days I was hospitalized with viral meningitis. Never thought for a minute they were related until someone told me you can contract it from an animal bite.

Answer:

Yes it is possible to contract infections from a dog or any animal bite because they carry several micro organisms as a part of the normal flora of their mouth, which are capable of producing mild to severe infections in humans. Treatment of the dog bite wound should be sought immediately to prevent the spread of infection since the infection frequently gets inoculated into the deeper tissues from the bite.

Yes it is possible to contract infections from a dog or any animal bite because they carry several micro organisms as a part of the normal flora in their mouth, these floar are capable of producing mild to severe infections in humans. Treatment of the dog bite wound  should be sought immediately to prevent the spread of infection because the infection frequently gets inoculated into the deeper tissues from the bite.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA