Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can finger prints indicate blood pressure?

Can finger prints indicate blood pressure?

Patient: While having my fingerprints scanned today for a concealed weapons license, the woman taking the prints asked me if I have a family history of stroke or high blood pressure. She pointed out several dark blotches on my prints and said that those are very unusual. She said it could mean very high or low blood pressure and that I should start taking an aspirin every day.I’m 41, in good shape and the last few time the doctor took my BP is was 120/80. The woman is obviously not a medical professional, and a little out of line giving medical advice, but is there any truth to this? Can your fingerprints indicate any type of medical problems?Thanks.

Symptoms: None

Doctor: Thank you for your question. There is no medical diagnostic or prognostic evidence for changes in finger print shape and its association with hypertension (high blood pressure). Since you have been cleared by your doctor and have normal blood pressure, you should not be concerned.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com