Can genital warts come from a partner without HPV?

Q: Can genital warts come from a partner without HPV? My husband and I have been married for more than ten years. At some point in our marriage, he developed genital warts. After many pap smears and several STD screens, I have NEVER had anything come back abnormal. Is it possible for him to have gotten this virus from me? He swears he has never been with anyone else, so I am trying to find out what the possibilities are. Can it be transmitted by something other than penetration? Would love to have some answers to this mystery! Thanks

A:   Genital human papilloma virus (also called HPV) is the most common sexually transmitted infection (STI). In 90% of cases, the body’s immune system clears HPV naturally within two years. The virus is transmitted through genital contact, most often during vaginal and anal sex.  HPV infection do not always develop symptoms or health problems, and may not always show up in tests.   It is possible that a person may HPV for years without even being aware of the infection, and pass it on to their partner who in turn may develop genital warts.