Can getting a blood test after three weeks from conception show pregnancy???

Patient : Hi, So about a week ago I went to my University Clinic to get a HCG blood test done to see if I was pregnant, it came back negative. However I still haven't got my period yet. The last time I had it was in January. I took a home test prior to going and getting a blood test done and it came back positive. When I got my blood test done, it would have approximately been 3 weeks and 1 day from when I last had intercourse. So I assumed that they could detect it by now. But I forgot that fertilisation doesn't happen right away and about a week before I got the blood test done, I had some period-like cramping in my lower stomach on the left side. So I guess what I'm asking is it still possible I could be pregnant??? Could the HCG test be incorrect??