Can Group B Strep infection return?

Patient

Q: My miscarriage was caused by group b strep can this returne in the second prenancy.thanks for your help

Doctor

A:   Yes, there is a chance that Group B Strep infection may return. These are common bacteria found in flora of the vagina, rectum and urinary bladder and usually do not cause any symptoms. But during pregnancy the entire outlook changes and group B strep may lead to infection in the newborn, miscarriages and preterm labour. It is essential to screen for group B strep during 35-37 weeks of gestation and treat if there is infection.